Your Privacy (Personal Health Information Protection Act PHIPA, Act 2004)
All information you share with the clinic is kept strictly confidential and is protected as per Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
The following provides you information about your privacy and your record:
- Your hard copy record is safely stored on-site in my own privately locked cabinet.
- Your electronic record is password protected and only I have access to it.
- We will not share any information about you, your partner, and/or your family to any person without your informed and written consent with the exception of the following:
- We may share information with an external clinical consultant to ensure I are providing you with the best quality of service.
- There are times when We may be legally required to release information without your consent. These exceptions to your privacy are as follows:
- If you present a risk of physical harm to yourself or others, I am obligated to notify the appropriate parties;
- If there is a suspected case of child abuse, I have a duty to report to A Children’s Aid Society where it is suspected that a child may be in “need of protection” as outlined in Section 37(2) of the Child and Family Services Act;
- To report to the police if it is suspected that an adult with a developmental disability is in need of protection;
- As required by search warrant, subpoena court order or other legal statute.
- To report misconduct of a professional within my own governing body.